Fotky Konojedy kostel (1).JPG

Konojedy Castle and Church

The most important building in Konojedy near Úštěk is the local chateau with the adjacent Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.

The site was originally a 15th century fortress, which was rebuilt into a chateau in the 16th century. The late Baroque Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Konojedy was built on the site of an earlier early Baroque church from the very end of the 17th century. The church together with the chateau, a former servite convent abolished in 1786 by decree of Emperor Joseph II, form an inseparable historical unit. The foundation of the church and the convent belongs to Count Franz Karl Swéerts-Sporck and his wife Anna Katherine. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1747. After the dissolution of the monastery in 1786, the son of the founders, Jan Kristián, bought the monastery property and converted it into a chateau. It was protected as a cultural monument since 1958, but during the second half of the 20th century, the castle and the church were used by the People's Army and gradually fell into disrepair, it was also structurally damaged by blasting in the nearby quarry. Since the 1980s the church has been gradually evicted and repeatedly robbed.

In 2007, the chateau was bought by a private owner, Mr. Vladimír Pribyl, thanks to whom extensive reconstruction began. The adjacent church was also completely reconstructed thanks to the Association for the Restoration of Monuments of Úštěk. The church is currently used for concerts, wedding ceremonies and occasional tours.

For more information about the church, the chateau and tours, visit the website or the website of the Association for the Restoration of Monuments in Úštěk.


Spolek pro obnovu památek Úštěcka
1.máje 18
41145 Úštěk

Web page



Chateaus Sacral monuments